History of Springfield Post 176
The Springfield American Legion Post 176 was established in 1955, Edwin Dentz served as the first Post Commander. In the spring of 1956, the Post members established and operated a Babe Ruth Baseball League for the Springfield area. In 1957, Post property was made available for a Little League Field.
In October 1956, the first issue of the Post newsletter, "Post Scripts" was published. That name has remained since the first edition and today has a distribution of approximately 1400 copies.
The Post purchased land for the first Post Home in December 1957; became incorporated in September 1958; broke ground for the Post Home in March 1963; and accepted the Post Home, known as "The Tin Tabernacle", on July 6, 1963. The "Tin Tabernacle" was razed in November 1985 to make way for highway expansion.
The Post, without a Home, temporarily lost nearly 50% of their membership. The venture of a new Post Home, trying as it was, did not hamper the Post leadership from continuing with their goals and, by the time the new home was completed, membership was again at its previous level.
The new Post Home, designated "Legion Center", was opened October 25, 1991. The building is a two story 12,250 square foot brick building which features three flag poles flying "Old Glory" with a POW/MIA pennant below it, the Commonwealth of Virginia Flag and the American Legion colors. The flags wave during daylight hours and are illuminated at night for
all to see and to be reminded of the great privilege of living in a free and peaceful country.
Post 176 has continued to grow and is now the largest Post in the Department of Virginia with 1200 plus members. The Post has produced 2 Department Commanders, 5 Department Vice Commanders, 9 District Commanders and a National Executive Committeeman.
Each year the Post has sent boys to Boys State, sponsored an Oratorical competition; visited and sponsored events at the Washington VA Hospital; held blood drives; sponsored American Legion Baseball, and Boy Scout troops; provided aid and comfort to Veterans and their families; and conducted child awareness programs.
The Post has "adopted" a one mile stretch of the Fairfax Parkway. Post 176 is an active member of the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce, having produced four of its Presidents and three of its "Persons of the Year". But with all its contributions to the community, the Post has not lost sight of its principal mission - to see to the needs of the area's veterans, their widows and orphans. With a dedicated membership there is time for both.
The American Legion was founded and organized in 1919 as a patriotic, mutual help, war-time veterans organization and chartered by Congress. The Legion has touched virtually every facet of American life; our objective is to serve our community, state and nation. The American Legion also conducts many programs designed to benefit the youth in our communities. Some of these programs include: American Legion Baseball, Keystone Boys State, High School Oratorical Contest, Essay Contest, Junior Shooting Sports Program, Scouting and State Police Youth Week.
We are a powerful voice for veterans in Washington, DC; The American Legion drafted the original GI Bill and was instrumental in establishing the federal agency that today is the Department of Veterans Affairs.
National Headquarters for The American Legion is in Indianapolis, Indiana, with an additional office in Washington, DC.
Our vision for a strong America consists of Four Pillars of Service: a strong National Security, taking care of veterans, mentoring youth and promoting patriotism.
There are more than 800 American Legion Posts across the state of Virginia. The American Legion Family includes The American Legion Auxiliary, The Sons of The American Legion and The American Legion Riders. Together we work hand in hand united in patriotism and working for veterans advocacy.