SPRINGFIELD POST 176


Legion Center

Springfield American Legion Post 176 was established in 1955, Edwin Dentz served as the first Post Commander.

In the spring of 1956, the Post members established and operated a Babe Ruth Baseball League for the Springfield area. In 1957, Post property was made available for a Little League Field.

In October 1956, the first issue of the Post newsletter, "Post Scripts" was published. That name has remained since the first edition and today has a distribution of approximately 2000 copies.

The Post purchased land for the first Post Home in December 1957; became incorporated in September 1958; broke ground for the Post Home in March 1963; and accepted the Post Home, known as "The Tin Tabernacle", on July 6, 1963.

The "Tin Tabernacle" was razed in November 1985 to make way for highway expansion. The Post, without a Home, temporarily lost nearly 50% of their membership. The venture of a new Post Home, trying as it was, did not hamper the Post leadership from continuing with their goals and, by the time the new home was completed, membership was again at its previous level.

The new Post Home, designated "Legion Center", was opened October 25, 1991. The building is a two story 12,250 square foot brick building which features three flag poles flying "Old Glory" with a POW/MIA pennant below it, the Commonwealth of Virginia Flag and the American Legion colors. The flags wave during daylight hours and are illuminated at night for all to see and to be reminded of the great privilege of living in a free and peaceful country.

Post 176 has continued to grow and is now the largest Post in the Department of Virginia with approximately 1800 members. The Post has produced 2 Department Commanders, 5 Department Vice Commanders, 9 District Commanders and a National Executive Committeeman.

Each year the Post has sent boys to Boys State and sponsored an Oratorical competition; visited and sponsored events at the Washington VA Hospital; held blood drives; sponsored American Legion Baseball, and Boy Scout troops; provided aid and comfort to Veterans and their families; and conducted child awareness programs.

The Post has "adopted" a one mile stretch of the Fairfax Parkway. Post 176 is an active member of the Inter Service Club Council of Springfield, having produced four of its presidents and three of its "Persons of the Year". But with all its contributions to the community, the Post has not lost sight of its principal mission - to see to the needs of the area's veterans, their widows and orphans. With a dedicated membership there is time for both.

Directions to Post 176


Back to Post 176 Homepage